Pages

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Chocohotopots!

chocohotopot

 

Don’tcha hate it when someone asks you what you’ve been up to and you just stand there looking blank and trying to come up with something, anything, to tell them? No? Just me? Well, then. . .

For the last few weeks I’ve been up to nothing much. Trying to stay on top of the laundry, keeping the kids happy, entertained and fed, starting to get ideas together for a Halloween party, reading. Seriously, not a whole lot. I did make the mistake of checking out a cookbook from the library. Big mistake. You see, my mom loves to read cookbooks. Even when she’s dieting. She’s a little nuts like that. Anywho, she is always borrowing cookbooks from the library. But me? I have a problem with books. If I like it, I’ve got to own it. I get twitchy if I can’t pick the book up at any given moment and check a reference or a recipe or whatever. Twitchy! And antzy. And a little bit loopy. So, up until a week or so ago, I’d never tempted myself by borrowing a cookbook from the library. I have shelves of cookbooks that I never use as it is, thankyouverymuch!

But a couple of weeks ago I walked down the wrong aisle at the library looking for a book. Woops. I saw Feast by Nigella Lawson just sitting there, calling out to me. And then it jumped off the shelf and landed in my arms. So, I checked it out from the library. I told myself I could handle this. Shortly thereafter (yes, I totally just said ‘thereafter’.) I started having daily arguments with myself about the pros/cons of buying all of Nigella’s books. Arguments I ultimately lost. Sorta. (I hate losing fights with myself!!!) I finally caved and ordered How to be a Domestic Goddess. I’ve been arguing with myself ever since about going back and buying Feast. It is a wonderful cookbook. Really, truly. If you have stronger self control that I do, I really do recommend borrowing it from the library. Or if you have room on your bookshelves, just buy a copy. Everything I’ve made from it (about a dozen recipes and counting) has turned out beautifully and just to die for delicious!!! Hachapuri (Georgian cheesebread), lamb meatballs, perfect rice pilaf, to die for chocolate cake, roasted potatoes. . . . . . . *drool*

Although this recipe is featured in Feast, I first encountered it on an episode of one of her shows. She talked about how her son came up with the name: they are chocolate, they are hot, and they are in little pots. And that’s about all the description the cookbook gives it. So had you not watched her make (and eat) one you would never know how absolutely awesome they are!!! It’s like a brownie and a bottle of fudge sauce got together and had a lovechild. I’ve made them about a dozen times since watching that episode and everyone I’ve served them to has gone just a little bit nuts over them. And it’s SUCH AN EASY RECIPE!!!! Seriously, just get up and make these, right now!!! I promise that you won’t be sorry!

By the way, I think this is a great recipe to make if you are having people over for dinner. You can throw the dry ingredients together earlier in the day if you want and then right before serving dinner just melt down the chocolate and butter, whip them up, and pop them in the oven to bake while everyone is eating. Perfect!

 

Chocohotopots

adapted from Feast by Nigella Lawson

serves 4

1 stick plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus some for buttering the ramekins

4 oz semisweet chocolate (I used Ghiradelli 60% cacao chips)

2 eggs

3/4 cup superfine sugar (you can just buzz regular, granulated sugar around in your food processor for this, just be careful it doesn’t turn to powdered sugar! Do it in 2-3 second pulses.)

3 tablespoons flour

 

 

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Butter four 2/3 cup ramekins.

In the microwave (in 30 second bursts) melt the chocolate and butter. Set aside to cool a bit.

In a medium bowl, mix the eggs with the sugar and flour.

Beat in the cooled chocolate mixture.

Bake for about 20 minutes, the tops will be cooked and a bit crackly.

Remove the ramekins to a small dessert plate and watch yourself, the ramekins will be HOT!!!

10 comments:

Ron Cooper said...

Happy summer!

I’m following you from Spotlight Saturday. Please follow me back on my blog “Inspire!”

Ron

http://inspiredbyron.blogspot.com/

Songberries said...

Oh my gosh! Yum!
It's 2:30 and I haven't had lunch yet, I wasn't even hungry until I looked at your blog! Geez! Ok, I'm just going to repeat, I don't need chocolate...I don't need chocolate...

I'm not even showing this to Sloan!
Will you be having this while we're at your house the week after next? If so could I just have a bite?

Jennie said...

Thanks, Ron!

Mom, absolutely! But you may as well commit to the whole Chocohotopot. I know you have iron self control, but this is one instance where you really should indulge!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I'm your newest follower from Spotlight Saturday. Loving your blog. I love chocolate...the above pic looks yummy. Look forward to reading more. Hoping you'll drop me a visit sometime.

http://thethingswefindinside.blogspot.com/

BrettBMartin said...

oh, jennie. these look divine. i think i gained 5 lbs reading the post :o)


i'm following you from spotlight saturday!

http://thismamalovesherbargains.blogspot.com

megan said...

Diets be damned, I;m trying this one ASAP!

megan said...

Diets be damned, I;m trying this one ASAP!

dining table said...

I am having my diet this month but I think I need to forget that for this day. I can't resist trying that chocohotopots!

Chocolate Cat said...

I know exactly what you mean about library books, I need to 'own' it so that if at 3am one morning I need to look up a certain recipe I can!!!! I love Nigella, those choc pots look great.

Elz said...

Oh yum. That is all that needs to be said.